We both know that acting is the only thing that truly makes you happy, that you’re truly passionate about, that you could do for the rest of your life without getting bored. And we both know that if you hit the success you’re after it can bring you the financial and time freedom you’ve always dreamed of, not to mention the perks of travelling for shoots and meeting new people.
When you first decided you were going to pursue your acting dreams you were probably a bit scared but also super pumped up… But then something’s happened, you’ve lost your mojo and just can’t seem to get it back. Don’t worry, we’ll have a good look at 5 ways to get your acting on track, but before we do let’s see what could be holding you back.
And lots of them… High competition, more actors than roles, loads of unpaid roles lurking about, rejection. You were probably expecting these obstacles but it doesn’t make it any easier does it?
After encountering one too many obstacles your mojo has gone walkies and you might be finding it difficult to get into the swing of things… you’ve taken LOTS of action, but because you’re not getting any further forward you have been feeling frustrated and entertaining the idea of giving up, or you’ve got stuck in a cycle doing the same things over and over even though they’re not working.
It probably feels like hard work and your love for acting is starting to dwindle… FAST. When your hard work doesn’t seem to be reaping any payback giving up seems like a good option.
You may have thought that if you could land a nice TV job finances would be great, but it’s just not happening the way you had hoped and finances are scarce.
LACK OF SUPPORT
Family or friends may be telling you to get a proper job. They may be picking up on your frustration, believing that if you get a “normal” job with a regular income you’ll be happy again. This can be very frustrating when you can’t explain to them that acting makes you happy.
So what can you do about it? Lets have a look.
5 ways to get your acting on track
- Train – The obstacles in the industry can make you quickly forget that it is the art of acting that you love. Coming up against obstacles in the industry can stagnate your creativity. Training will nurture your talent and help you sharpen your craft, but one of the big perks is being in a creative atmosphere with like minded actors and getting back to the root of your art.
- Get sociable – Taking on the acting industry alone can be an arduous task. Being around people who are in the industry who understand your struggles, whether that’s online or in person, can make the journey a little more pleasant. Being alone makes it difficult to bounce ideas, but speaking with others who can offer support or lend an ear can help you re-discover your spark.
- Set goals – specific achievable goals. Without goals you have nothing to work towards. Goals keep you on your toes. Don’t forget to regularly review them so you can chart your progress.
- Plan – a goal without a plan is a dream. Dreams don’t come true without action. Ask yourself every morning, what can I do today to take me one step closer towards my goal.
- Be accountable – an accountability partner is someone you share your goals with on a regular basis. Your accountability partner will check in regularly to see that you are achieving your goals and finding out why you aren’t if you’re slipping. Being accountable is a GREAT motivator to stay on track.
So there you have your 5 ways to get your acting on track. Make a start on them if you want to break the cycle, it’s no good just reading this and then doing nothing about it.
What resonated with you? Let me know in the comments box below, or share with your acting friends, it could be just the thing they need!
Here’s to your success!
Don’t give up, just keep learning.
NEED MORE INSPIRATION & POWERFUL ACTING TIPS?
If you found these tips useful, you can grab yourself more tips completely FREE.
Louise O’Leary is a professional actress, method acting coach and Artistic Director of StandBy Method Acting Studio. Her mission is to help as many actors as she can achieve their acting dreams and become the best actor they can be. Join the hundreds of actors around the world who have downloaded her eBook “Respect your craft, discover my top 45 method acting secrets to launch your career“. Download here and be on your way to acting success today!
You can also head over to FACEBOOK to join in the conversations, receive inspirational advice and the best method acting tips daily.
Or if you’d like to work with Louise and join the actors who’ve transformed their acting ability using the word’s most powerful acting technique, you can can change your career by applying here